Friday, April 15, 2005

Weasley Woes

At the current tension, I think the sweater will fit me, but I don't think I'll have enough yarn.

So far I've knit a rectangle 100 stitches wide by 23.5 cm. So one ball is equivalent to 2350 sc (stitch x cm). Also, it looks like I did 11 rows/4cm = 2.75 rows/cm.

The back is 100s x (62 cm + 4 rows) = 6268.75 sc

I'm estimating that the front is the same, even though it should use a bit less due to neck shaping, and letter intarsia.

Sleeves: 2 x [50s x 5.5cm + 60s x (42cm-5.5cm) + (104s-60s)/2 x 32cm + 104s x 4.5cm) = 7274 sc

Neck: 82s x 4cm = 328 sc

So, that makes for a total of 20,319.5 sc. Dividing that number by 2350 sc/ball, gives 8.57 balls. I have 7 balls of the main colour, plus another 20g small ball of the letter colour.

Options:
1. Frog what I have, and attempt to achieve gauge. (Ending up with a sweater sized for my cousin, and I buy RFT for a sweater for myself.)
2. Order a second Weasley kit from Scotland and make the sweater for myself at the current gauge.
3. Modify the pattern, say, making the sleeves 3/4 length.

I'm not that fond of the third option. If you were me, what would you choose? Oh, and here's how it looks so far:


On the up side, I just washed my dishes, so I'm starting the weekend with clean dishes... not counting those I'm using to cook dinner right now. ;)

4 comments:

Deb said...

Hi Andrea,
I just love your little fat sheep button. It's adorable. Did you make it?

Have a blessed day!
Debi

noricum said...

Yes I did. Thank you very much! :) He'll be visiting a friend's CafePress shop soon. I'll post details when they're available. ;)

Anonymous said...

[why do you count from 1?! I'm surprised ;) ]

I'd probably do 2. I hate frogging and I hate 3/4 sleeves! Or I'd check on ebay/the blog world if anyone happens to have an extra ball of the main colour... :)

noricum said...

I figure most of my readers are non-cs. ;) Of course, I probably scared the non-math/cs away with all the math, and all the non-knitters away with all the knitting, so I guess that just leaves you and me reading this post. ;)

I can't check ebay... I have no idea what kind of yarn this is. I don't think it's Rowan Felted Tweed, because the pattern says it has a different fibre content. Of course, they may have included different yarn. No way of telling, since the yarn had no ball bands. :P