Saturday, April 16, 2005

Dogs

I met an adorable miniature schnauzer today. Apparently they don't shed. I think I'll do some research into schnauzers, to find out the pros and cons of this breed. :)

Update:

They're so *cute*!!!

Here's a summary of what I've found. They have a tendency towards a bunch of unpronouncable diseases, but many of them are being weeded out genetically, so you have to make sure you find a reputable breeder. White is not breed standard, so don't fall for the "rare colour" trick by puppy mills. Size is 12-14". Tendency towards plaque buildup, so I'd have to brush it's teeth. Doesn't shed, needs grooming (I could learn... I could clip the both of us at the same time... ;) ) and okay to bathe weekly. (Yesssss!) Good apartment dogs, but tireless if given space to run too. Can get kidney stones (I can sympathize), and gain weight if overfed (ditto). They're intelligent and learn quickly. Very social, and love to snuggle. They live around 15 years.

Except for the health problems (which can mostly be avoided by finding a reputable breeder), the mini schnauzer seems like a good choice. :) The question is whether I'm ready for a dog. They do require a lifestyle change. Plus, there's the whole allergy question. Well, for now, I'll just keep thinking about it. ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

have I asked you if you know about the hair vs. fur allergy and the rest of it?

[dh is allergic to most dogs, but while ours shed, since they have hair it's okay... furry dogs he has trouble with.]

noricum said...

I think so. Someone did. What's the difference between hair and fur? (I figured hair meant it didn't shed.) I'm considerably less allergic to dogs than to cats, and will certainly test my allergy before getting a dog. So far I've just been petting other people's animals, but I might try house sitting or something to get the full effect of living with a pet.

hi, i'm natalie said...

Schnauzers (sp??) are really cute... my girlfriend has a schnoodle that is just adorable and so good tempered... I hope you find a breed that will work for you!

noricum said...

Thanks Natalie. :) Poodle mixes have the funniest breed names. ;)

Anonymous said...

http://www.schnauzerrescuecarolinas.org/

Please consider adopting a rescued mini schnauzer. Great dogs--many of them puppies--end up in rescue for all sorts of ridiculous reasons. It is possible to get a healthy, well-bred dog of a specific breed while still giving a home to a dog who needs it. For example, my Diego is a show-quality IG (for whatever that's worth--which to me is nothing, frankly) but still he was abandoned and ended up in rescue.

Just another consideration while you're thinking about making room in your life for a dog.

cari
(dogsstealyarn.com)

noricum said...

Thanks Cari. :)

I've been checking out rescue sites with every breed I look up. Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one, but I'm mostly looking at rescue sites in Canada, since I may not be able to get a dog until I move back north.

Rebecca said...

ooo , how fun! puppies!!! (read that with the high-pitch girlish squeal)