Sunday, April 17, 2005

Parties, Pizza, and Pollen

*snuffle* Today I went to Apple Chill with my friend S. Chapel Hill has two street festivals... Apple Chill in the spring, and Festifall in the fall. There's crafts, music, and public service stuff. (If I wanted to, I could have been tested for HIV. However, given my history, I figured the test would be better spent on someone else.) It was fun walking around and seeing the craft booths (ran into Josie's sister in that section!), but the pollen got to me. I only sneezed a few times while I was out, but I've had one heck of a delayed response, and taking a shower hasn't helped. The antihistamines and decongestants haven't helped either. Nor lying down with a damp cloth on my eyes. Nor rinsing my eyes with cold water, and using eye drops. *sneeze!* *sneeze!* I'll live, but I'm not too happy about my allergies at the moment.

I think it must be oak. According to the pollen forecast, the three top producers are oak, sweetgum, and birch. My bad allergies started around the time the oak made it into the top three, and didn't change when cedar/juniper dropped out, or when birch and sweetgum started. Of course, I'm sure they're not helping any. Of course, there's very few birches around here, and my neighbourhood is *filled* with oaks. *snuffle*

I did my grocery shopping today. Whee. I didn't get run over by motorcycles on the way back. I finished around the time that Apple Chill must have been ending, because the "After Chill" motorcycle brigades had started cruising.

To finish off a fun (albeit high pollen count) day, I made some pretty good pizza! I used the pizza dough recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook, and did toppings sort of bruschetta style. Mmmmm.... very tasty! But, since the tomatoes would have made the crust soggy, I decided to eat the whole thing. *burp* I think I'll go roll myself into bed now. ;) I have an extra crust in the freezer (cut in half!), but I don't think this will be a regular thing... it took me over two hours to cook and eat dinner! And I haven't even looked at the dishes!

This post is brought to you by the letter P. *sneeze*

3 comments:

pfirsch said...

I'm glad you had fun at Apple Chill. Sorry about the pollen though. I hope you feel better when you wake up.

With this recipe, you can eat a bit sooner: http://www.recipezaar.com/28008
My only suggestion is that you use a pizza stone of some kind.

noricum said...

The crust wasn't the problem... the recipe I used only had a 20 minute rising time. The problem was cleaning and chopping all the ingredients I used for the toppings: garlic, rosemary, basil, parsley, tomatoes, kalamata olives, feta... I gave up and left out the mushrooms and mozzarella. ;)

Zarzuela said...

I feel your pain! The allergies around here suck too. :(

Jessica
http://zarzuela.blogspot.com