Monday, April 11, 2005

Libraries

(Hi Paulina! ;) )

Just to clear up any confusion, I really do like libraries... or, at least, I like the concept of libraries. However, I don't like the fits of sneezing, itchy eyes, and hives I get in libraries. (The last I got while carrying a library book around a library.) I also seem to have the worst luck with grouchy librarians & other librarian staff... but don't misunderstand this either... neither Paulina nor my mother nor my aunt are grouchy (to me, at least)... but then, they're not my librarians either. ;)

One day I hope to have my own personal library room... where all the shelves will have glass fronts to keep the dust off, and I'll replace individual books when they get too old and dusty. ;)

I do prefer physical media over electronic ones, but I'm much less allergic to the electronic ones. ;)

3 comments:

Daph said...

Is it the dust that makes you sneeze? I love roaming up and down the aisles and aisles of books. Unless I'm trying to find something specific, and then I get intimidated, LOL.

noricum said...

Dust. Dust from people, dust from old books, dust from little insects that eat books. Mold & mildew, especially in damp libraries. Possibly chemicals or something from old books... and even some new ones. (Those ones that stink.)

I once found a book that I thought was related to some research I was doing. So I sat down in the library to browse the book. My nose was itching and running, and my eyes were itching, so I decided to sign out the book and read it at home. I sat down in my kitchen, opened up the book and immediately my eyes started itching and watering, and my nose started running. My reaction was so bad I couldn't read the book. I took that book to my advisor, and asked him to skim it and let me know which pages looked appropriate... so I could photocopy and read those pages. :P

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea!!! :)