Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Tuesday Tip for a Greener Life

No idea if I'll make these regular, but I liked the alliteration. ;) Here's my first suggestion:

Replace your porch lights (and any others that stay on for long periods) with compact flourescent bulbs. I find compact fluorescents take a bit to "warm up", so these are best for places where the lights tend to stay on for a while. I have compact fluorescents in my front porch, living room, and kitchen. I just bought another bulb, and will be placing it in my back porch. (Formerly I just didn't turn that light on, but it's *really* dark out behind my place. Having porch lights on are good for security.

Oh, and save the bulbs you remove to use in other rooms where compact fluorescents aren't practical.

And, like your mother always said, turn off lights when you leave the room. ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're actually slowly transitioning all of our lightbulbs to the compact fluorescents. You get used to the "lag" it takes to turn on when you flip the switch. Though that was pretty annoying to me when we first switchted the bedroom over to those. The efficiency makes it worthwhile though. Plus, for the ceiling fans, the lights don't get quite so hot now that we're using the flourescents.

noricum said...

I don't mind the momentary lag before they switch on, but I'm not fond of the way they start dim, and take a few minutes to warm up to full brightness. I'm just a hater of dim lights. :P

Anonymous said...

never noticed it taking a while to warm up to full brightness. So I guess that didn't bother me. :)

noricum said...

It could be that some brands are better than others. I'm waiting for mine to burn out before trying other brands, though. And I'm also waiting to use up all my old style bulbs to go totally fluorescent. No sense in throwing out working bulbs. ;)