Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Pine Scented Office

My norfolk island pine was getting too big for my dining room table, so I brought it in to work. I put it where the honking big monitor used to sit. (The one I almost never turned on.) It's nice... green... very zen. (Not that I'd know zen if it hit me in the face.) Speaking of which, that's what my pine is hoping to do. I can see why it's "reach out and touch someone" attitude annoyed Suzanne so much. However, hopefully it will guard that corner of my desk from clutter.

Speaking of clutter, after posting last night I attacked my flat surface clutter some more, and I think I managed to nearly halve the layers on my craft table and one side of my desk. I feel better already, and am imagining how good I'll feel when it's totally clear. Feeling less cluttered, I went to bed (rather late), and actually felt I could think about my dissertation. Not that I did much then... I fell asleep faster than usual.

Even though it was after midnight when I got to bed, I got out of bed earlier than usual this morning. This occurance had nothing to do with the late-night declutttering... I didn't want to be in the shower when maintenance came by to replace my medicine cabinet. (I hate having people knock on the door when I'm naked.) They didn't come by the time I had left, but I'm glad I got up early anyway.

Maintenance is replacing my bathroom medicine cabinet as my "renewal gift." Every time we renew, we get to choose an upgrade. I wasn't too excited (since I had or didn't want most of them), but they've added new upgrade choices. I waffled quite a bit between a new medicine cabinet and new kitchen cupboard pulls. Both the existing cabinet and pulls are rather nasty. Not my fault... they were like that when I moved in.

The medicine cabinet has peeling, dirty paint on the inside, and the silver is coming off the scratched mirror. (I imagine a previous resident scratched it while trying to scrub off the paint splatters.) However, I can see myself in the mirror (when it's not fogged up), and there are two glass shelves I was able to get sufficiently sanitary to put my toothbrush, etc, on.

The kitchen pulls have nasty stuff in the crevices, and I think I'd have to take them all down and scrub them with a brush to clean them. (The crevices are in the back.) They also have paint on them, and the finish is pitted.

However, I decided it would be easier to do something about the pulls myself (assuming I wanted to spend the time and/or money), and so opted for the new medicine cabinet.

I hope they don't leave my bathroom a disaster.

Ah, the suspense!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm....a picture? (of the new medicine cabinet, that is)

noricum said...

Before and after shots to come... after the new one is installed, of course. ;)