Sunday, June 19, 2005

Socks I've made for me

Socks I've made for me
Socks I've made for me

I've made a lot of socks for me over the past year, and I feel like reviewing them. Here's a bit over half of them... these are the ones that were clean before doing laundry yesterday. (The rest are in the second photo.)

Most of these are wool socks, since I'm not wearing wool too much these days. (At 90F, can you blame me?) In the top row, the blue stripe socks (Regia Cotton), and the greenish pair (KnitPicks Dancing) are both cotton. I put the blue stripe pair on after taking the photo. I'm wearing the greenish pair today.

The purple pair in the bottom left (Kroy, winter eclipse) is the first pair of socks I ever made. I don't wear them too much, though, because I made them too tall without making the legs fat. Same with the red pair (Sock It To Me Colori, Sonoma Sunrise). The blue pair with the funny top (Kroy) is mostly fine, but the top never gets seen... it's covered by pants in winter, and this pair is too hot for summer. Oops.

Middle row, left to right: Koigu... very nice, but a pain to hand wash. I think I also made them a bit big, and I'm not sure they're as durable as other socks I've made. Wolle Rodel from Josie... ended up a bit shorter than I prefer. The yarn is on the thick side for sock yarn, and there's less per ball. (Only 150m/50g.) Lang Jawoll Color Superwash... I striped two similar variegated colours. I *love* this pair! Great stripes, lovely colours, and *sooooo* soft! Last, but not least, Scheepjes Invicta Extra. This pair is quite soft, and the yarn was on the thin side... but it seems that every colour is different when it comes to softness & thickness. But they all tend to be the thinner sock yarn... which I like.

Top row, left to right: Regia ringel color... mmmm! Regia Cotton... I started with some of the original Regia Cotton, which is thicker and has less yardage, and thus had to buy an additional ball. However, I ended up with a very nice pair of socks, if a bit thicker than I really prefer. Last is the KnitPicks Dancing socks from Jess. I hadn't realized there was elastic in this yarn until I got it, but it's all in the center, and so doesn't appear to be causing a problem yet. Hopefully it won't, because I quite like these socks.

Update: I forgot to mention the socks in the bottom right corner: KnitPicks crayon... nice, but the yellow was a bit "dirty", and there were splashes of colour where they didn't belong.

No comments: