Sunday, June 12, 2005

Back of the Envelope Calculations

Envelope Calculations
Envelope Calculations

Last night I decided to estimate how much yarn I'll need to make a Weasley for me. Looks like at least 10 balls.

I still had plenty of envelope left, so I started calculating how to cut my piece of fabric in order to make it into a shower curtain.

Recently I've been reading how 10 oz cotton duck makes shower curtains that work to replace those nasty vinyl ones I'm allergic to. Since I'm trying to cut down on allergens, I thought I'd give it a shot... we'll see how it holds up to NC humidity. :P

I googled cotton shower curtains, and found they range in price from about $40 to $80. (The $80 ones were hemp, and supposed to be more resistant to mildew.) Even $40 was more than I wanted to spend on a shower curtain.

However, I was able to find 60" wide 10 oz cotton duck for less than $5/yard at one of the craft supply websites I frequent. Much better price! (72" wide would have been much nicer, but I've got brains and a sewing machine.)

The fabric arrived Friday, and I prewashed it yesterday. I also got a bit of batik fabric for some fancy trim. (Add another $5... still well under $40.)

I measured my 3 yards of cotton duck after prewashing... it had shrunk by a foot!!! Well, better before making the curtain than after! ;) However, this is making it somewhat challenging to construct a nice looking 72"x72" shower curtain. Hence the envelope. ;) (The other constraint is the amount of trim fabric I bought... half a yard.)

I might play with the numbers a bit more, but I've pretty well finalized the design. I'll post pictures of the final shower curtain when it's done. I posted this picture because I thought the thought process was kind of amusing. ;)

No comments: