Saturday, June 18, 2005

Clickety Clack

Accomplishments so far today: ate breakfast, finished reading a National Geographic (that I was nearly done reading already), read blogs, posted to my blog, crocheted half a toe sock (using the red rainbow yarn from Jess), and e-mailed my pita bread recipe to Deneen.

Today is definitely a good day for sewing my shower curtain... as I was working on the toe socks, my wrist was going clickety-clack. (Indicating that if I don't stop, I'll make the pain start up again... so not much crochet in store for today.)

If anyone else is interested in my pita bread recipe, here it is:

Pita Bread recipe:

1 pkg yeast
1 tbsp sugar
2 c lukewarm water
1/3 c milk
6 c flour
2 tsp salt

Dissolve yeast, sugar in 1/2 c water, let sit 5-10 min. Put flour & salt in bowl, mix, make depression in centre. Mix water, milk, yeast mixture & pour in depression. Mix. Knead until smooth & elastic. Let rise until double, approx 2-4 hrs. Cut pieces from edge & shape into orange size balls. Let rise for 1.2 hr. Roll balls to 1/4 inch thick. Let rise for 1/2 hr. Preheat oven to 475F. Place bread directly on racks. Cook 2-5 min until puffed up. Place under broiler for a few seconds.

I also toss in some oat bran for more fibre, since I can't have whole wheat flour.

Oh... and when I say "place under broiler for a few seconds," I *mean* a few seconds. Watch through the window, and when the element turns red, take the pita bread out. Also, if you watch through the window, you'll know what I mean by "puffed up"... they puff up like balloons. (If you have kids, watching through the window is a job they'll likely enjoy... and it'll save your knees. ;) )

Other hints: For the first rising, put the bowl (covered by a tea towel) in the oven with the oven light on. This produces a great temperature for making bread rise. When you have the balls & rounds, place on a tea towel, and cover with a second. It doesn't really matter what size you make the balls... you'll just end up with different sized pitas. So it's really a matter of preference.

Although there's a lot of rising, making pita bread really is low effort. Most of the time you spend ignoring it. ;)

1 comment:

Jewels said...

mmmmmmm, pita tomorrow me thinks.