Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Thrift Shop

Oh... I also stopped in at the Value Village (a thrift shop) on Pembina on the way home to see if they had a white (or light coloured) enamel plate/tray/pan I could use as a palette for my acrylics. (I'm currently using some styrofoam plates that I found in the closet, but they don't last long.) I couldn't find one.

I did, however, see lots of handknits and crocheted items. It was rather sad, thinking of the love and effort that went into them, and how they were now abandoned. Had the owner passed on? Were they simply considered "too ratty/stained"? (Had the recipient put effort into cleaning them before discarding them?) What was their history? Had they been passed down through generations (I'm thinking of the elaborate doilies here), only to be discarded by a consumerist/throw-away culture? Or had they been loved to death, but were loved too much to throw out, and so were donated in the hopes of finding a new loving home, who would be more forgiving of their flaws?

I also noticed that the wool skirts were more expensive than at The Salvation Army (another thrift shop). They had some nice ones, but I decided to wait until after I've completed my first rug hooking project. Then I can decide if I want more wool fabric. Basically I couldn't justify spending over twice the price as the previous skirts if I was only going to potentially use tiny amounts. Plus the whole budget and space thing. Later. I'll let myself buy wool skirts later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that too - knits & crocheted items in the thrift store. Particularly sad to me are the baby items. I would've packed them up & saved them for the next generation.

Celeste said...

sounds like you have a nice thrift shop! ours here are always disappointing in terms of finding the kinds of gems you describe. how did you keep yourself from snatching up all of that knit love?

good luck finding the paint tool you're looking for!

noricum said...

How did I manage it? Because there was so much there that I could cover every flat surface in the house multiple times over with the number of doilies there, and the number of blankets would transform me to a "princess and the pea" situation, but with blankets rather than mattresses. There was a lot there. The thrift shop is the size of a decent sized grocery store... larger, in fact, than the one I went to in Chapel Hill. (But not as large as a small Walmart.)