Thursday, June 30, 2005

In the news...

Wow... Canada actually made the US news last night... our Health Minister stated that we can't be expected to supply drugs to the US:

CANADA TO ALLOW BANS ON BULK DRUG EXPORTS
Canada will ban the bulk exports of prescription medications when needed, as part of strategy to control internet pharmacies, says Health Minister Ujjal Dosanjh.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/06/29/drug-050629.html

It strikes me as rather arrogant that an athiest government thinks it can declare who the religious leaders are:

CHINA SENDS TEENAGED LAMA TO VISIT TIBETAN-HEAVY REGION
A teenage boy whom China is grooming to become Tibet's new religious leader has reportedly been allowed to meet thousands of people during a rare trip within China.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/06/29/lama-trip050629.html

I'm happy this ancient creature was allowed to go free, rather than be stuffed and mounted:

MANITOBA MAN LANDS MASSIVE FISH
A Manitoba angler could land his name in the record books for catching a two-metre sturgeon near Kenora.
FULL STORY
http://winnipeg.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=mb_huge-fish-2005

It would have been nice had people not caught it in the first place (I only catch fish I plan to eat... I need to eat, I don't need to harrass and torture wildlife for "fun"), but it's better than nothing.

2 comments:

Daph said...

Have you read the book 7 Years in Tibet? It outlines a bit of Tibet's history, especially with regard to the Tibetan Dalai Lama. It's very sad.

noricum said...

No, I haven't read that, but I have heard bits of the history... I agree.