Wednesday, June 01, 2005

False Memories?

Do you ever get those memories, where you wonder whether they're true memories, or just confused with something you read in a book? I have a few. (I identify very strongly with main characters in books... so much so that I can't read some kinds of books because of it.) One of those is that I remember being told that someone in my family tree made the first transatlantic flight. But then I wonder if I'm actually remembering a character in a book being told that. I asked my mom, and she didn't know anything about one of my ancestors making such a flight. However, I was just reading this article:

BIPLANE IN BID TO RECREATE HISTORIC TRANSATLANTIC FLIGHT
Two adventurers have left Toronto in a replica of a Vickers Vimy biplane, on their way to Newfoundland for an attempt later this month at re-enacting the first transatlantic flight.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/06/01/vickers-050601.html

And one of the pilots was John Alcock. I think there was in fact an Alcock in my family tree. Now I'm even more confused. I think I'll have to do a bit of research, to find out what's true, and what's imaginary.

No comments: