Sunday, June 05, 2005

Annoyances

(Warning: this is one of my posts where I whine lots.)

I have an annoying rash on the backs of my legs, plus a few mosquito bites to make sure I'm good and itchy. I'm not sure what's causing the rash. It really started acting up yesterday and today, but it's not something I ate yesterday, because it's been lurking for about a week now. I guess that makes my potato salad a likely suspect... but what in the salad could be causing the rash? There's potatoes (never had a problem with them before); salt, sugar, and vinegar (I wouldn't think these would be the problem); and red onions. Now, I know I reacted to onions on my last skin test, but they've never given me a rash before... just smelly gas. Although, strangely, they haven't been giving me gas recently. (For which I am truly thankful.) But I will be ticked if they're causing the rash.

Another potential culprit is the hummus I made, which contains chick peas, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin and paprika. However I didn't have any hummus yesterday, but did eat lots of potato salad Friday night and Saturday, so the potato salad is the more likely culprit. *sigh*

Other annoyances: I've been having trouble sleeping at night, and am then really tired during the day. I've been having *very* strange dreams, which aren't themselves annoying, but I doubt they're helping me sleep at night.

I can't remember the details, but last night's strange dream involved at least one car crash, long distance car racing, possession, affairs, "threesomes" (which included characters from "ER"), and alternate realities. Like I said... *very* strange. I'm not sure if I was possessing someone else, they were possessing me, I was observing someone being possessed, or some combination of the three. (There was more than one possession going on.) And, of course, since I can't figure out that part, I'm not sure what my part was in the rest of it. And no, I'm not on drugs. (Besides those my doctor has prescribed.)

While I'm whining, here are some more of my annoyances: my belly fat, the fact that my eyelids are swelling at night (and I have no clue why, or what to do about it), headaches, feeling hungry lots, and gaining weight.

I've tried ignoring the hungry feeling, since I obviously don't need more calories, but then I just get low-blood-sugar shakies and feel crabby. Whine, whine, whine, whine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to mention this, in the face of all the other health issues you have, but unexplained sudden weight gain is often a symptom of something else. Could be a side effect of some drug your on (have you started any new drugs lately?) or something else (hypothyroid comes to mind). You might try talking to your doctor about it, if you haven't done so already.

I'm sorry your body isn't being nice to you of late. :( *HUGS*

noricum said...

The only drug I've changed lately is that I've stopped taking the antibiotic for my zits. It's nice not having zits, but I don't want to be taking this stuff forever, and I've decided I'd rather have the zits than the antibiotics. (Especially since they may have been causing or aggravating the headaches, plus a persistent cough I've been having.)

I've talked to my doc about the weight gain, and he doesn't have any suggestions besides eat less and exercise more. (I haven't been getting much exercise lately.) I've had my thyroid checked several times, since thyroid problems run in my family, but my thyroid came back normal. I think it's stress. I've read that tummy fat is caused by some sort of hormone released when you're stressed. I'm sure it's not all stress, but I think my tubby tummy is in large part due to my PhD. If it doesn't go away after I graduate, I'll look into it some more.

I need to start riding my exercise bike more regularly, and I think I might try starting some weights at the gym once term starts up again. (I'd have to pay if I go during the summer.) I'm thinking weight-bearing exercise might help some. I need to talk to a trainer to get a reasonable regimen... that should help me not feel so stupid wandering around the gym. ;)

Thanks, though. :)