Thursday, March 31, 2005

Seven Degrees of Separation

Or considerably less, to tonight's episode of CSI. I'm not sure how 3rd Tech scored that blatant plug, but it was pretty cool to see technology from my department on prime time network tv. :)

Am I a geek to think that technology counts in the "seven degrees of separation" thing? Well, there's probably a trail of less than seven people that provides the associated human link. ;)

I knew to watch for it beforehand, but I wasn't sure if I could blog about it or not. The set photo that was passed around the department wasn't for public distribution, so I knew I couldn't use that.

Hmmm... I seem to be rather post-happy today. I suppose I should include something fibery?

My turquiose socks are coming along, and I'm nearing the heel for the second sock. I've restarted Bob's socks, and have about 1/3 to 1/2 a foot done. The black looks okay as stripes, but not as good as charcoal would have. I guess I should have bought that charcoal yarn when I had the chance, so I wouldn't have to guestimate based on web pics. The black matches, but is rather stark. The swatch looked kind of "charcoally" on theknitter.com, but I think I must have actually wanted "black heather".

*sigh*. I *love* Lang Jawoll Cotton Blend Superwash. I love all their heathered solids. :) I just wish it were cheaper. Sockotta feels really nice too, and has fun variegated colours, but they don't have the heathered solids that I can stripe together. However, since Sockotta is about half the price of Lang Jawoll, I'll probably be buying more Sockotta before I buy more Lang Jawoll. Of course, given how much sock yarn I have, I really shouldn't be planning any more purchases for quite a while anyway... except, it *would* be nice to have more cotton blend socks for summer. I only have five pair now, which is 3-5 short for a week, depending on humid summer air drying time. I have one pair worth in my stash, and can probably make a pair from the leftovers from Bob's socks... that leaves me only 1-3 pairs short. Hmmm...

No! I will be good! I will use more stash yarn before buying more yarn! (If nothing else, I'll use up the cotton sock yarn that I have. ;) ) Given the recent rise in temperature (enough that I debated turning the air conditioner on, and have been wearing shorts the past two days), I should probably bump up the priority of my cotton socks.

Hmmm... I think this will be the order: finish my turquoise socks (they're so close to done anyway), then make my blue cotton socks the commuter socks. Bob's socks will have evening priority until my sock pal's plain socks return, at which point I'll rework those pronto. I imagine I'll finish Bob's socks around the time I'm done my blue cotton commuter socks, and thus the remnants of Bob's socks will become my following pair of commuter socks, and my evenings will go back to being non-commuter projects. Non-commuter projects include my throw, my afghan (if I ever get it out of limbo), and non-memorizable patterns such as snowflakes. I'm not sure why I started doing Bob's socks as a non-commuter project, except maybe I was feeling guilty at them sitting undone for so long.

I think tomorrow evening I'll do the "flash your stash"... I've lost some scrap bits of sock yarn that I want to use for a fun idea I have. I seem to be able to locate most of my scrap sock yarn, except for the baggie containing the specific colours I want. I'm beginning to suspect I left those bits in Winnipeg last Christmas. I think if I haul out my stash, I'll be able to rule out the bits being here. I have a backup colour, but I'd prefer to use my first choice if it's around.

5 comments:

hi, i'm natalie said...

What sock patterns do you use? The ones that you've made look much cuter than any I've seen... I'm a bit intimidated by socks, since I hate gauge I think i'd end up with two totally different ones...

noricum said...

All my socks are based on the SBC toes up socks, with my modified heel. The alternating sc/dc produces a really nice texture.

Anonymous said...

do you prefer the lang jawoll to the regia? I don't think i've been able to find lang jawoll anywhere. I have some lana grossa meilenweit and I like it, but not as much as all of the regia varieties. and I think the knit picks sock landscape is soo soft...

And -- technology definitely counts. ;)

pfirsch said...

This link might work--modified heel

noricum said...

Thanks pfirsh! I must not have been paying attention when I posted the link.

I haven't tried regia cotton yet... that's my pair of blue commuter socks that'll be coming up. Lang Jawoll is hard to find, but the online store I gave links to has free shipping. :)

My two Lana Grossa Meilenweit socks are fine, but not as pretty as my Lang Jawoll socks... they seem faded. Of course, they were more muted colours to begin with; that's the kind of selection I had around here for that brand.

I haven't finished my wool Lang Jawoll socks, so I can't compare them to my wool Regia socks either. ;) Then there's also my Regia Silk waiting for me... that pair was going to be next, until I decided I should move the cotton socks up in the queue.