Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Blog-a-million

The blog-a-thon interview marathon continues. These questions from Ro:

1. You have to pick a new color for your hair; a crayola color. Of these three which would you pick and why? A) Electric Blue B) Shocking Pink C) Grape Purple

Definitely Electric Blue... that's the colour of my dresser, and I *love* it! Plus, my favourite colour is blue.

2. A friend calls you and tells you that she was just dumped; and you had plans to double date for a broadway show tonight. What do you do? A) Cancel your plans altogether and hold the kleenex as she sobs on your shoulder; B) Drag her and your boyfriend to the show anyway and then listen to her cry over lattes afterward; C) Take your friend and two other female friends to the show instead for a girls night out and promise to make it up to your boyfriend later (he's happier watching ESPN at home anyway)

Another easy one... (c)... no sense in wasting tickets, and a girls night out is the best way to get over a break-up. Who needs men! Of course, this is all hypothetical, since I haven't had a date in over five years now. (A bit pathetic, but I keep my spirits up by telling myself I don't have time for one in grad school anyway... um... yeah. It mostly works. ;) )

3. If you were a "land" in Disneyland, which would you be? Fantasyland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland, or Adventureland?

I went to Disneyland once... way back in grade 6, I think. I can't remember what the different lands were like. Given the names, I'll guess at either Fantasyland or Adventureland, but I'd need more information to know which.

4. What is the hardest crochet pattern you've ever attempted and did you finish it?

I guess that would have to be the snowflakes I've made. Yes, I finished, but I'm not sure they looked exactly how they were supposed to. However, they looked pretty, and not every snowflake is supposed to be identical, right? ;)

5. What is the most different thing between living in Canada and living in the US?

The most different... I guess for me, personally, it would be the fact that I don't have any family nearby. When I was living in Winnipeg, I lived with my parents. In BC, I had relatives both in the city and a short ferry trip away. Here, it's a ~$300 plane ticket if I want to see anyone.

From a more general perspective, I'd say it's less multicultural down here. Around here, the vast majority of people can be split into three categories: white, black, and latino (or whatever you want to call these three categories... I hate labels). The grocery store reflects this. Not only that, but each category tends to stick to itself.

In Winnipeg there are a lot more different groups, and they didn't "clique" as much. Sure, there are areas of the city where the different groups tend to live, but that's mostly so they'll be close to their particular church. Once in school, you made friends with whomever you wanted, and pretty much ignored skin colour or background. We also have cool multicultural festivals, as well as individual festivals for the larger groups (plus lots of other festivals... Winnipeg loves festivals). There were a bunch of different choices for what languages you could learn in school. I took a German bilingual program, and also learned a bit of French. I know that there were also bilingual/immersion programs in French, Ukrainian, and Hebrew. I'm sure there were others, but those are the ones I know of. The grocery store had a huge selection of stuff, and my family ate from much of it. (What we knew how to cook, and enjoyed, that is.)

And in return, these questions *for* Ro:

1. How many languages do you know, and if you were to learn another, which would you choose?
2. Have you ever been to Canada? If yes, where have you been. If no, are there any parts you'd like to visit?
3. Which Robin Hood character do you most identify with?
4. If a shepherd showed up at your doorstep, and offered you his small flock of merino sheep, saying he'd be forced to sell them as dog food if you refused, what would you do?
5. What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?

3 comments:

sara said...

Interview me please? I know I am a complete stranger, but I'm pretty nice.

Anonymous said...

I think multiculturalism in the US to some degree depends on where you live. Houston is pretty multicultural, complete with festivals and everything.

Not having lived in Winnipeg, I can't compare the levels of mingling between cultures, though. Down here, people don't tend to go actively looking for friends of other cultures, but if they are put in a situation where they have the opportunity to get to know people of other cultures, they will. The majority of my friends are white, but there are several who aren't. And then there are people like you who look like the "majority" here, but are actually Canadian :). The university where I work is extremely diverse - I believe it is a minority-majority situation, but there is a good mix of minorities in the pot, not just one. It's an open-admissions, commuter school, though, so it's pretty reflective of the population of Houston.

noricum said...

Well, I've only lived in Winnipeg, Vancouver, Victoria, Bremen, and Chapel Hill, so those are the only places I can comment on. Only one of those is in the US, so I've got a pretty small sample size down here, I must admit. ;)