Monday, March 14, 2005

Dog hands

I have dog hands right now. My officemate brought his dog in so I could pet her for a bit, to see how allergic I am to dogs. His dog is a wirehair fox terrier, and he got her from a rescue shelter for the breed. She's very cute, and smaller than I thought she was. (Which is good, since I want a small dog... and she's on the big end for her breed.) She tends to be easily frightened, though, because of her rough past. She's getting better, though.

Anyway, we walked around outside and I pet her a bunch, and now I'm sitting here with dog hands, to see if I have a reaction. For a thorough test, I let her kiss me to. It's very strange to go from avoiding pets to purposely immersing myself in their allergens. All I can think about is washing my hands, but that sort of defeats the purpose of the visit.

4 comments:

hi, i'm natalie said...

YAY! *I can finally comment!

Here's hoping no yukky reactions occured after your playtime with the dog! They really are so much fun...

Can't wait to see sock pics, they're one thing I've not braved yet, I'm too afraid I'll end up with two completely different socks!

noricum said...

Well, my "dog hands detection algorithm" only turned up one slightly negative result... I had somewhat itchy eyes after a while. Of course, it's also spring right now... ;) The positive is that I didn't have anything resembling my last cat contact. :))

You should give socks a try... they really are easy, they just sound hard. If you're worried about getting two different socks, I really recommend working on both at the same time. That way you remember what it is you do, and can compare as you go. Even with my experience... or maybe I should say because of my experience... I do this... I have "checkpoints" just before and after each heel, and of course at the end to determine leg height. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hmm, this sounds like an experiment as a prelude to getting a pet. :) So are you contemplating getting a dog, Andrea?

noricum said...

I am contemplating it. I won't make any final decisions until I talk to my allergist, but I'm "feeling out" my possiblilities, you can say. ;)