Sunday, March 27, 2005

Oven Excitement

Today was "bake my pita bread" day today... but it became bake 3/4 of my pita bread, and burn out the element in the oven.

Taking the third batch out, I noticed a bright spot on the element. As I prepared to put the fourth batch in, I discovered the bright red spot was now bright white. I turned the oven off, and it didn't seem to go out. I closed the oven door, and came back a minute later. Still there. The stupid cover for the circuit box is being stubborn and won't open. I call maintenance, and ask them to find someone to come tonight, if possible, since the glowing spot was still glowing. After I hang up, I manage to get the circuit breaker box open, figure out which one is the range, go unplug my computer in case I'm wrong, then turn the oven off. I test by turning an element on, and the "element on" light doesn't light up.

After a while the glowing spot goes out. While it was bright, though, it moved about four inches, and all along the space where it had passed there's crumbly ash on top. Here's how it looks:


I called maintenance to let them know they can come tomorrow. I stuck the remaining pita dough in the fridge. If my oven doesn't get fixed tomorrow, I'll try alternate cooking methods. (BBQ? Frying pan? This should be interesting. Reminds me of baking at the lake.)

No comments: