Saturday, March 26, 2005

Differences

Up north in Canada there's a great sport called curling. Like many Canadian sports, it involves ice. I won't bore you with the details. Back home, I enjoyed both playing and watching curling. It's one of the few sports I enjoy watching. Although I occasionally get a few headlines in the e-mailed news:

CANADA ELIMINATED AT CURLING WORLDS
Canadian skip Jennifer Jones was shut out of the medals at the women's world curling championship after losing a playoff match Saturday in Paisley, Scotland.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/03/26/Sports/curling_worlds050326.html

...it's not the same.

This reminds me of a great episode of Due South. Well, the whole series is great, but I'm remembering the episode where the Chicago detective is forced to stay at the Canadian embassy with the weird mountie (not Benton Fraser) while the curling playoffs were on. If I remember correctly, by the end of the episode, the Chicago detective was yelling "SWEEP!!!" along with the rest. ;)

I wonder if they have Due South on DVD? Paul Gross is cute! ;)

Googling... oooo! They do! Um, and it'll only set me back $150 CDN for the first three seasons, with the fourth season expected out some time this year. For some reason, they're about $50 bucks each on amazon.ca, and $100 US on amazon.com. Could someone remind me why the American dollar is supposedly worth more?!? :P Hrm. Well, all that more incentive to graduate and get a high paying job. ;) Until then... reruns in my memory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

one of my sisters (the one whose bday is today) curls! :) The mother of a friend of hers from the hockey team is on a team and got my sister to play too. :) hee.

I miss getting the CBC on tv like I used to in Seattle! Better sports coverage (okay, so I would have still missed HNIC this year)!

I think I might secretly want to be Canadian. ;) I like reading your posts about differences!

Emily said...

Ah, yes, curling. When I first heard of this sport, I thought I heard "hurling." A puking competition? No, Emily, curling. Ohh. Visions of beauticians filled my head. Who could curve the best curl? Which ringlets would win the prize? Who could complete a perm in under three minutes? We'll find out, today... Welcome to the 2005 Curling Championship! (The crowd goes wild.)

...I must say, this competition seems far more appealing that the Real Deal. But hey, I'll check it out next time I'm north of the border. You might be on to something, you Canadians...