Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Let me spin you a yarn...

That. Was. Fun. Amazing. Addictive.

I *spun*! I took roving, and made yarn. I did. All by myself. Just me and my spindle! I used the "inchworm method", and footage of me spinning would probably make America's Funniest Home Videos (assuming someone had filmed me), but I think I did pretty well for my first try! What do you think? Here's what I made tonight:

My first effort deserves a close-up:

(FYI, that's a metric ruler in the background.) And just look at how much romney fun I have left:

And after that, I'll try the blue colonial. :) I tried to make my singles pretty thin... I want to try plying, and I prefer to use thinner yarns.

Spinning is so neat! At first I thought you'd need a fairly fat bit of fluff to make yarn, but actually you pull it out until it looks like it'll break if you sneeze on it, and then it makes this incredibly strong yarn. Amazing. I don't think I can say that enough.

Yes, my singles are overspun, but that's so I can do the plying where I let the extra spin go into the plying.

I can't decide if I should try plying with this tiny bit, to see if I've done this correctly, or if I should go ahead and spin up the whole thing, and thus have one long piece of yarn. One long piece is nicest, but then if I screw up, I've messed up a whole pile of roving, rather than just an itty bit.

Well, since it's past my bedtime, and I need to be up early for my exercise bike repair, I'll head to bed now, and decide at the next chance I have to spin.

I only spun a tiny bit tonight, because it was already after 11:00 when I started... I had to wash dishes tonight. :P

One more pic to leave you with:

Aren't these the prettiest RAOK envelopes? I got them on sale for half off at my local drug store. I think I'll have to see if they have any more. (They were 2 for 1, and only had three when I was there last... I didn't realize they would just charge half price for each, or I would have bought all three.)

Good night, and dream of happy rovings!

3 comments:

Deneen said...

Great spinning! I've had my spindle and roving for about two months and haven't done it yet. Completely awesome job!

noricum said...

Thanks Deneen! I was kind of scared to try... but once I did, I was amazed! Just give it a whirl, and you'll see what I mean. ;)

Jewels said...

a whirl or a whorl? LOL
I can't wait to try this new spin-fun.