Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Good News with the Bad

Rita and Katrina sure did suck bigtime for Gulf Coast residents, and sucked smalltime for those impacted with higher costs of gas and other items, but they've brought a small amount of good news for me: the Canadian dollar is going up. According to NPR this morning, it's expected to be on par with the US dollar by a year from now. Apparently our oil sands are attracting a lot of interest. The oil costs more to extract, but there aren't any hurricanes in Alberta. Our oil sands even top the amount of oil in the middle east.

Why is this good news? Come Christmas, I'll be withdrawing on my Canadian savings to pay for tuition and living expenses down here. If the Canadian dollar is up, it costs me less.

Speaking of the exchange rate, my milk substitute now costs $4 USD here, and $3 CAD at home. Yeah, right, the Canadian dollar is worth less. :P

No comments: