Thursday, September 15, 2005

Planning

I've been feeling a little sad that I'm making a baby blanket for one of the expecting women in my department, but not the other. The one I'm making the blanket for is a good friend, and a student. The other is a professor I'm friendly with. I found out about the student first, but they're both due at the same time. I have time to make blankets for both, but the yarn for the first used up my budget for that sort of stuff this term. (And more, but I won't go into that.)

However, I just saw the baby jacket Roxanne made, and it's *adorable*! The pattern is free at Crochet Me, and uses one skein of LB Homespun! I just happen to have two skeins of Homespun from my Secret Sister! How cool is that?!? So now I can whip up one for each of them, and stop feeling sad. :) NC isn't that cold, but both babies are due in December, so they could probably use a Homespun jacket.

Question: the jacket is sized for either 6 or 12 months. These babies will probably only use the jackets from 0-3 months. Will the 6 month size be way too big? (Or just "comfey"?) When they're 6 months old, it'll be June, and no baby's going to be wanting to wear a jacket in June in NC... except possibly in air conditioned buildings. The 12 month size would probably be the right size for the following winter, but I don't really want to give the parents something they won't be able to use for a whole year... it'll get packed away and forgotten, and then never used.

5 comments:

KelliAmanda said...

I would make it in the smallest size - babies really differ in size anyway. Some babies are too big for 0-3 months when they're born, and thus begin wearing 3-6 month sizes. I think 6 months may be a bit too big for a newborn, but the jacket will be worn over other clothing, and it can be worn through the winter and spring - so possibly as late as April, depending on the weather.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the above. Comfy is good, and if they have big babies, the 6 month size will fit well. If the babies are small, the moms can roll back the sleeves.

Sallie

Michele said...

Yup, I agree.
Mine was born almost 9 pounds...0-3 months was outgrown the first month.
next size up might be OK.

noricum said...

Thanks everyone! I'll make the 6 month size. :) (And it's the thought that counts, right? ;) )

Deneen said...

I made that jacket and it's so easy. I did it in Simply Soft and used a sports weight acrylic for the trim so it wasn't as warm, which you could do. I think I used an I hook for the body and an h hook for the trim.

I made the bigger size because, honestly, you get so many clothes for newborn and they outgrow those so fast.