Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Slippers That Ate Manhattan

Slippers, pre-fulling
Slippers, pre-fulling

Hmmm... I actually did calculate what size the sole should be, based on shrinkage, but I'm starting to doubt my sanity. These may end up being a Christmas present for someone with really big feet.

Fulling to commence on Saturday.

It'll be nice to take these off my WIP list... they had stagnated for quite a while. I felt that I should calculate everything about them, but didn't feel like doing so. So, throwing pencil and paper to the wind, I took the liberating step of simply crocheting so that the rest looked proportional to the soles. I'll keep you posted on whether that was a wise decision or not...

Also, there will not be a pattern for these. If anyone would like to crochet some monster slippers themselves, I'm willing to answer general questions on what I did, but these are definitely designed by trial-and-error. (Possibly more error than trial.)

Feel free to leave a comment with your shoe size. ;)

6 comments:

none said...

Wow, I have no idea. However, if they do end up too big, atleast you have one Christmas present finished!

~drew emborsky~ said...

Woo hoo! Those are some bigguns!

Anonymous said...

which yarn is that? I bet they will shrink enough to fit ... :) I'll keep my fingers crossed!

noricum said...

Gjestal Naturgarn from Elann.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

My attention was caught by the mention of thyroid problems. "Normal" what is normal? Do you have the actual results or did your doc say "they are normal"?
If the latter, I strongly advise you to get the results and reference ranges and then pop over to a forum like Delphi's Thyroid Diaries http://forums.delphiforums.com/thyroiddiaries/messages/ or About's Thyroid forum http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=start&webtag=ab-thyroid
Do some reading and post your results for an opinion. Good luck to you, I have been there myself. I was in the position of doing research for a PhD when I was (unknowingly) hypothyroid and now I cant believe what it was like back then, but I have my life back now. 49 years old, cycling to work every day, running 3 times a week, doing a good days work. All thanks to taking both T4 and T3 medication. Go on, take another look at those results. All the very best,

Anonymous said...

They'll shrink. If not, throw them in for a second (or third) spin. :) I suppose at some point they'll stop shrinking, but not for a while.