Friday, September 30, 2005

Stockinette

Zeneedle is having a contest, asking our opinions (good or bad) on stockinette. Here's what I posted in her comments:

Stockinette is very relaxing. Yes, even meditative. I like the rhythm of the knit stitches, and my purls are getting almost as good.

Way back, when I first learned to knit, I thought stockinette was boring, but the real problem was that all I knew how to knit was scarves, and I was young enough to be knitting for the product. It wasn't the stockinette that was boring, it was the scarves.

I've recently relearned how to knit, and I'm using Weasley to do so. I expected the vast quantities of stockinette to be boring. However, I really enjoyed doing the back, and when I got to the letter on the front, I realized just how much I liked plain stockinette. I'm now glad to have returned to the plain sleeves, although the occasional increase tries to trick me.

I'm also learning how to knit lace right now. I find doing a single repeat a struggle, and have to really concentrate. I'm exhausted after the one repeat, but I can knit stockinette for hours. Lace is work. Stockinette is relaxation.

Stockinette is comfortable to wear, with no lumpy bumps. It's not busy, so allows a lovely yarn to be displayed.

Stockinette is all about the process. But the product is wonderful too.

No comments: