Thursday, September 01, 2005

Random Rantings

Notice: I'm going to be ranting in this post... feel free to skip it. I use a few "bad words" too.

Okay... further to the last post. This morning I got my daily dose of crazy by listening to NPR. Apparently someone shot at a helicopter trying to land at the New Orleans Superdome (or whatever it's called). The helicopter was trying to airlift out the worst of the injured. What was going through the mind of the person who fired one off? Who knows. Kelli suggested it might be a combination of gang and survival mentality. Here are more of my thoughts. Note: I'll refer to the shooter as "the idiot", and use masculine pronouns, although I recognize the fact that the idiot may actually be feminine or neuter. (Yes, idiot, I'm calling you neuter.)

Possibility #1: The idiot was bored.
Desired outcome: Excitement.
Achieved outcome: More boredom, as the rescuers are now delaying rescues until the situation calms down.
Suggested alternative action: Shoot yourself in the foot.
Reasoning: (a) There is a small chance you are only hurting yourself. (b) You have provided excitement for you and those around you. (c) You now have something more engaging to think about than how hot, bored, and hungry you are. (d) You may have upped your priority for being moved out.

Possibility #2: The idiot was mad at Georgie.
Desired outcome: Faster rescue.
Achieved outcome: Slower rescue.
After reading this post at Bitch Ph.D., I agree that the idiot has plenty to be angry about. However, do you really think Bush is going to listen? Heck, he won't even give a 15 minute interview to that lady who's son he got killed over in Iraq. And what about those people in the helecopter? Georgie sure as hell doesn't listen to them, and they're probably just as annoyed that Louisiana's National Guard is over in Iraq, and that they don't have more resources to devote to rescue or infrastructure maintenance. All you're doing is getting them pissed off at you too. After all, they're doing their best with limited resources, and you're shooting at them. Ingrates!
Suggested alternative action: Shoot at Georgie's plane.
Reasoning: Georgie is more likely to notice this action, and you'll get your ass airlifted out of there and into a federal prison ASAP.

Now onto a more local rant... why is it that I'm so wiped out at 8:30 that I feel like I could take a 1-2 hour nap on the couch, yet, when I decide it would be a better idea to go to bed, then brush my teeth and do get into bed, I can't sleep?

Another rant along the same lines... why is it that I can comfortably sleep all night in bed, yet if I read for a half hour under the covers, my feet sweat and get clammy?

Okie... that's enough ranting for now. Steam is now blown off. Now back to working on my proposal.

4 comments:

Deneen said...

I am so appalled too! I mean the looting was bad enough. Part of me understands the food and water looting, but clothing? Where the fuck are you gonna put it dickweed?

Now they're shooting............I don't get it. I understand being very upset, although this tragedy has been forecasted for ages (I will forward you the Nat'l Geographic article from last year with this exact prediction).

I don't understand why the President hasn't gone there to visit. WTF I say!

Enough of my ranting for now.

noricum said...

Yeah, I know both "good" and "bad" people got flooded... but I just don't understand the "bad" people... I think there's some sort of faulty wiring in their circuitry that is messing with their ability to think through the consequences of their actions. :P

Marvie said...

The shooting really boggles my mind.... I just don't get it at all. Some of the "looting" (people taking food, water, diapers for their babies) I can also understand (I don't say I approve, but if I were in their situation, who can say how desperate I might be) but fer goodness sake, what are they going to do with TV's and electronic crap?

noricum said...

Especially given that they have no power. :P