Saturday, September 03, 2005

Wild Kingdom

Vulture?
Vulture?

You'll never guess what I saw on the sidewalk outside my apartment. Let me give you a hint... this ain't no songbird.

(S)he wasn't too friendly, either. I set my camera to maximum zoom (not much) and slowly crept as close as I could. I took a photo every few steps. (I find this works best... that way I don't scare animals off before I get at least one photo. Then, instead of shrinking the photo for the web, I crop.) By the time I got close enough for the above photo, (s)he started hissing at me. Here (s)he is taking off:

Vulture?

And this is what (s)he was snacking on:

Roadkill?

Looks like squirrel roadkill, with a side of flies. Yum.

I'm guessing tweety must be a black vulture.

2 comments:

Deneen said...

Yes, it is a vulture. I see them around here all the time, hate the nasty things. They usually come in pairs too. I didn't really need to see the pic of the roadkill though, ewwwwwww

sara said...

My assistant, Jim will wrestle the alligator while I observe from safety.

Ugh! I would have freaked out! But I'm glad you were courageous enough to share pics.