Wednesday, April 06, 2005

In the news...

Yikes:

FLORIDA POLITICIANS BACK USE OF DEADLY FORCE
The governor of Florida is being asked to sign a measure that will allow people in that state to use "deadly force" to protect themselves at home or in their car.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/04/05/florida-bill050405.html

Although I don't like people getting in trouble for defending themselves, I fear there will also be a rise in accidental shootings. "...but I didn't *know* that was my family member trying to sneak in late!"

Joy, more bureaucracy:

CANADA MAY RETALIATE AGAINST NEW U.S. BORDER RULES
In response to a new rule requiring most Canadians to carry passports for entry into the U.S., Public Security Minister Anne McLellan said Americans may also have to carry the document to enter Canada.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/04/05/passports050405.html


And finally, what a great time to become a car owner:

GASOLINE PRICES HIT NEW HIGH
Pump prices at Canadian gasoline stations have hit an all-time high, according to a weekly national price survey.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2005/04/05/pump-050405.html

Of course, I am not in posession of "my" car. My mom & Bob just bought themselves a new car (their "retirement car"), and they're giving me their old one. So I now own a car parked in my mom's garage. In Winnipeg. I live in NC right now, and for the next year. Good thing their new car doesn't fit in their garage. ;) (Poorly designed garage... the old one just barely fit.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a car (even if it is just sitting in your mom's garage)? This is news... :)

As for the U.S. requiring Canadians to carry passports and the Canadians possibly reciprocating -- I don't think Canadian reciprocation would really be that big of a deal. The U.S. citizens are going to have to have a passport to get back into the United States after visiting Canada, so they're going to have to take it with them even if the aren't required to have it to get INTO Canada.

As for the requirement itself -- I don't really have an opinion, not being Canadian nor travelling to Canada on a frequent basis (actually, not at all). Though I suppose I'll end up going to visit you at some point in the future (at least, I hope so...). ;) Any comments from the Canadian on why this is annoying?

noricum said...

Yes, having a car is indeed news. :)

I noticed the same thing about the Canada reciprocating. ;)

As for the Canadian perspective, here's what I think: The vast majority of Canadians live very near the US border. Cross border travel is frequent. Most Canadians, however, don't bother having a passport, since the US may be the only foreign country they ever visit. Passports are expensive, take a while to get, expire, etc. I imagine the increase in hassle will cause a decrease in cross border travel. In a way, it's sort of like if Americans were now required to have a passport to travel between states. It's not the end of the world, but it is a nuisance.