Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Tuesday Tip for a Greener Life

Remember that there are "three R's": reduce, reuse, recycle. It seems that the third is the one that is pushed the most, but the first two are very important too. Reduce how much you use, reuse what you can, and recycle what can't be reused. I was reading an issue of "Organic Style" and there was a quote that said something along the lines that buying furnature made from environmentally friendly products was good, but buying used furnature was even better. Less energy is used by reusing something than by recycling it.

One of the things I do is I buy milk from a local dairy at my grocery store. Since the dairy is local, less energy is used to get the milk to my store. Also, the glass bottles are sterilized and reused, which is a step up from recycling... and the only waste is a little plastic cap. Even better... when I return the bottle to get a refund on my deposit, the total cost ends up being half that of the regular milk. I know not everyone has the same options, but keep your eyes open for those you do have. ;)

1 comment:

pfirsch said...

I prefer to reuse things. Sometimes a little to much for my boy's liking, but it's something I learned from my parents. They were raised by people who grew up during the depression; so, the idea of not wasting things was passed on to them and they passed it on to us.

Thanks for the heads up about the local milk. I will keep that in mind when we move back to the US.