Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Fidgety

Gah! I'm feeling fidgety, and don't want to do what I'm supposed to be doing... which is reviewing a video and paper that was probably written by an undergrad. Granted, it's not bad for being done by an undergrad (at least, I'm hoping the main author is an undergrad), but it's *not* up to snuff for a conference submission. There's the usual undergrad things of assuming that passing a spell check means the text is correct, and not having the experience to be able to express himself clearly. (It's not a blind review, so I know it's a him.) I can't really fault him too much... after all, I was the same way back in undergrad, but I'm surprised his advisor didn't polish it up before submission.

Gah! Blah! Fidget! Fidget!

*My* advisor doesn't want me to waste too much time on this, but he also wants a helpful review. It wouldn't take too long if only I could make myself read the text. It doesn't help that all the graphics in the paper are making Acrobat run as slow as a slug. (Of course, the pretty pictures mean there's less to read... a definite plus.)

Well, I should get back to it. I just needed a short distraction. Actually, I think what I need is a game of raquetball, but I can't play raquetball, and don't have the time or equipment. Tennis would work too, but same problems. Basically, I need something where I'm using all my muscles in a wild and abandoned way. (So weights don't cut it either.) I'm so fidgety I'm shaking.

Why do bad papers give me the equivalent of a sugar and caffeine high? BLAH! (And it's not a high that helps me concentrate!)

No comments: