Wednesday, April 27, 2005

WOW Wednesday

I feel I owe you two WOWs, since I skipped last week. This first one will be a "feel-good" WOW:

WOW

Everyone is a guru to someone.

Case in point: I know very little LaTeX... just enough to get me by, and I have my trusty manual to help where my memory fails. Someone else in the department is currently writing his first LaTeX paper... and I am his LaTeX guru. ;) In fact, last Wednesday, he phoned me up (my phone never rings!) to ask how to get the references to work. Answer? Bibtex the main file name, no extension. (I'm sure there's an extension that works, but I don't know which. Bibtex can figure it out if you leave it off.)

Now, a more normal WOW:

WOW

Air Freshener

For a nice, natural scent in the kitchen, run a lemon peel (tough ends removed) through the garbarator (kitchen disposal, for you Americans). I've never tried it, but a more environmentally friendly idea (given Tuesdays' posts) is to run it & some water through a food processor. After you get the nice scent, you can pour the remains on the compost pile. This method could even be used in any room of the house. :)

I wish I had a compost pile, but I don't think my apartment complex would let me get away with it.

You know, I think I like this WOW... you use the juice, then the scent from the rind, and then compost the remains! Very environmentally conscious, and none of that nasty chemical air freshener stuff! It doesn't even have any excess packaging, assuming you don't bother with the produce bags. :) (I don't... I'm usually only buying one, maybe two at a time.)

2 comments:

pfirsch said...

I had heard about the garbage disposal thing before, but they said to use orange peels. I tried it and it works. To sharpen the blades, run ice cubes through it.

Thanks for all the handy tips!

noricum said...

Hm, yeah, I imagine almost any citrus peel would work. :) I think I've heard of the ice cubes before, but it's nice to have the reminder. :) Thanks!