Friday, July 01, 2005

Space Warp & Sockapal2za

Okay, so I decide to start my sockapal2za pal's socks tonight. Yep, the yarn is indeed thicker than my usual sock yarn... it's rather like that thick sock yarn I got from Josie. The lower yardage should have clued me in, but did I think about that? Nooooo. Sock yarn is sock yarn, right? You'd think by now I'd have learned. :P

Anyhow, I start with a toe, and notice I'm getting a very dense fabric. Hmmm. Perhaps a larger hook? I start a second toe with an F hook, and decide I like the look of the E better... it's dense, but the F looks holey. I don't want to send my sock pal holey socks. If they're too thick, worst case scenario they'll end up as "keep snuggly warm around the house" socks... there are worse fates.

So I carry on with the first toe, and rip the second.

After several inches, I notice the sock is looking wider than it should... my sock pal has narrower feet than me. So I slip it on my foot, which is an inch larger in circumference. It fits me! Aaack! I decide to double check the measurement of my foot... after all, I tried it on the left, which may be smaller.

Odd. My feet are smaller tonight than they usually are... smaller, in fact, than my sock pal's feet. What sort of freaking space warp are my feet in?!? Oh well... at least this way I can test out my sock pal's sock... for tonight, at least. (Don't worry sock pal... I had a shower just before trying them on, so my feet were clean.)

I'll wait until Monday to post a picture... that way I have the most to show before Alison updates the knitalong on Tuesday.

I think I'm in some sort of strange time warp tonight too, given how much progress I managed to make, even with the interruption to go over to my friends house to disassemble her desk. (She's moving tomorrow, and I know the magic required to use an allen key and screwdriver. No, I don't know why she can't figure it out. I get to reassemble her desk tomorrow night. What with the number of times she's moved, and rearranged her furniture, I think I've taken this thing apart and put it back together at least a half dozen times already! I swore last time would be the last... but I'm a big softy.)

In other big news, I created an example alpha helix that illustrates transmission of rigidity. Not an exciting, I'm going to graduate example, but at least an example I can use to test my code. Once I've got that working to my satisfaction (and I think I may, I just ran out of battery power this afternoon before I could test that, and I haven't gotten back to it yet tonight), I start looking for an allosteric tranmission of rigidity. *That's* the "big deal, there's hope for graduation" step. (Hmmm... and how shall I celebrate the finding of the allosteric example? I think maybe I should... ;) )

No comments: