Sunday, July 31, 2005

And Now For Something Completely Different

Sophie in Progress
Sophie in Progress

I wanted to celebrate my completion of a Weasley milestone (finishing the back panel) by doing something completely different. I've been feeling like my crochet & knitting has been getting in a rut... the same never-ending projects all the time, with just different yarn for the ever-changing socks. I wanted something small enough that it wouldn't become yet another never-ending project, but substantial enough to be more than just a proverbial speed bump.

I've already had the supplies for Sophie (yarn, circulars, printed pattern) for a bit now, but had been putting off starting until I made more progress on my other projects. Sophie fit the bill perfectly. :) (Tivoli was the other option, but I figured it would take longer.) I started Sophie this morning, and now just have the handles left.

I discovered one problem, though... I don't have size 10 dpns. I do have size 8s. Do I throw caution to the wind and use the smaller dpns for the icord handle? (It is a bag, and felted at that.) Or do I leave Sophie in a neglected heap until I can buy another set of dpns? Given that there aren't any busses tomorrow, I work during the week, and then leave for Winnipeg next weekend, I won't have a chance to buy the dpns and finish Sophie up until late August.

Jewels: Thanks again for the stitch markers! I used them for Sophie, and when doing the shoulder shapings on Weasley. :)

Cara: Thanks again for the circulars! I used them for Sophie. They worked great. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Sophie bag is great! I do think you may want to wait for the bigger DPNs, otherwise your I-cord will be really tight and skinny.

I have neat pattern for a felted bag. It's called a Lucy bag. I have made several of them for Sarah and her friends. They are easy and fun and versatile. I like to put stripes in them for variation.

Sallie

Jewels said...

Your Sophie bag will look great, already does I think. Glad to hear you like the stitchmarkers...I sure do, much better than some hunk of yarn hanging down, LOL