Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Last Night's Excitement

Turns out I spoke too soon last night! Boy, we got a doozy of a thunderstorm. It started some time after 10pm. No hail or strong winds, but *heavy* rain, and *tons* of thunder and lightning. Instead of washing dishes and making hummus, I, um, watched "Empire" on TV, and did a few more rows on Weasley. (Now up to 26%!) Shortly after 11 I finished my last row for the night, capped the needle, measured my progress, and then thought about updating my progress bar.

*BOOM*

Um, I guess I won't. With a loud crack, the power went out. (Luckily I had unplugged my computer earlier.)

In the pitch dark I inched my way to my bedroom, where I keep some tealights and matches in the left side of my top dresser drawer. (I have flashlights too, but they move around.)

I considered washing my dishes by candle light, but, although it would be slightly more "romantic" than by electric light, I decided not to. (A) It would be just my luck that I'd cut myself with the one sharp knife that needs washing. (B) The counter space not taken up by dirty dishes would be needed for the clean dishes, and thus there was no room for candles. (C) It was after 11pm, and thus a good time to go to bed. (D) Most importantly, I had enough clean dishes for breakfast, and thus didn't *need* to wash them last night. That last one cinched it. I went to bed.

I had some problems falling asleep, though. No electricity meant no AC, and we've been having heat warnings this past week. Luckily it didn't warm up too much... those new windows must actually provide some decent insulation. Also, there was this annoying percussion band with a strobe light outside my window... and a chorus of frogs that got louder every time the thunder rumbled. To top it off, my back has been acting up lately... there's a spot between my right shoulder blade and spine that felt like a hot poker was being held to it. Still does, but I'm not trying to sleep right now. ;)

I eventually did get to sleep, but didn't really sleep all that well.

The power came back on at 2:35am. I had turned all the lights off before going to bed, but my answering machine likes to make acquaintance with it's tape every time the power blips, and the noise woke me up. (Next answering machine is going to be digital... I *don't* need to know the precise time the power comes on.)

The rest of the night was uneventful.

I think I'll use my yoga video before going in to school... I want to see if it helps my back any.

Oh... one last thing... in defense of my sock yarn purchase yesterday, I'd like to say that there were a bunch of other sock yarns I wanted to buy, but I did show *some* restraint! ;)

No comments: