Sunday, July 31, 2005

Lurex Nest

Lurex Nest
Lurex Nest

A while back I swapped Julie some thread for some lurex... I wanted to try it, but I didn't want to buy an entire cone. (I don't want to think how many lifetimes a cone of lurex would last me...) Julie kindly wound a generous amount of several different colours of lurex into center-pull balls. However, lurex center-pull balls are rather... um... fragile? Finicky? I'm not sure what's the best word. I was using a toe sock to hold the ball I was working from, but now the toe socks are busy elsewhere. (They're lining up to get their elastics, and then will be packed to go to Winnipeg.) So I needed an alternate solution.

Voila, the origami lurex nest, with a nice opening, and tabs to hold the ball from pulling out. I found it in a Chinese origami book that a friend gave me. I'd tell you what the pattern was, and who designed it, but the entire book is in Chinese, and I'm not entirely sure they credit the original designers. (I think this is one of the infamous copyright infringing Chinese origami books... in my defense, I wouldn't have bought it myself, and didn't want to be rude and refuse a well-meaning gift.)

No comments: