Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Phew!

Well, I did get something done for my meeting, so I'm happy. What did I do? I modified my code so that I can view rigid clusters as sticks instead of balls!

PXR Balls:


PXR Sticks:


Okay... not too exciting, I know. But it made my biochemist happy. :) Now I just need to do the hydrophobic tethers for our next meeting...

More language problems: must remember that Americans call a "washroom" a "restroom"... I hate getting those blank stares! (We use both in Canada, so I can never remember which one it is that Americans understand.)

I wore my mittens today... it was just barely cold enough out. Everyone loved them, although one person commented on the thumbs. I'm surprised more people didn't find the thumbs odd. (I had wanted to do the thumbs blue, but didn't have enough blue left.) Two people asked me to make them some, so I said sure, as long as they bought the yarn. (I have to pay nearly $5K in tuition next term... if I didn't have some savings, I'd *really* be a starving student next term!) As I was wandering around in the biting wind, I thought longingly of having a matching toque and scarf... and then tried to calculate how much an alpaca scarf would cost... somehow, I don't think it's going to happen! (At least, not the scarf.) I'll have to see if I can find some soft wool in a close enough colour to be a reasonable match. (And that is a reasonable price!)

On the way back from Duke I worked on my mom's sock... only a few rows left, and it'll be done! Yay! I can't decide if I want to do another pair for myself next, or a pair for a friend in Vancouver... I told her I'd make her a pair if she sent me her measurements. I'm planning on doing a pair for myself and for her similar to that knit pair with the neat stuff at the top... I've got some plain Kroy sock yarn for the sock part, and I'll use scraps left over from other socks for the trim. I think I'll do a blue pair for myself, with the blue & gray Scheepjes for trim, and a green pair for my friend, with the rainbow Regia leftovers. (I think she'll get a kick out of the rainbow.) I also want to do a striped pair for myself, using the same stripe repeats as my mom's, but I'll need to get some contrasting yarn for that. (I thought about using the blue and green Kroy, but the colours were too similar.) And yes, I know I have a bunch of other projects going, but I like to have a pair of socks going too... they're just so portable!

My plan for the matching scarf: mostly navy blue, with gray bands at each end (like on the mittens). I'll put a snowflake at each end, and two crocheted cables running the length of the scarf. (So the ends will have a bit of a plaid effect, between the cables and the gray stripes, with a snowflake in the middle.) This way the scarf will tie together the mittens and tuque... (I still want to do the Coronet tuque!)

Okay... now to make progress on tomorrow's tasks... *sigh*. ;)

(PS: I'm in a good mood again today, and am mentally awake, though still tired.)

No comments: