Thursday, March 31, 2005

Origami Math

This morning I taught zillions of grade seven students how to make modular polyhedra.

Um, well, maybe only 125 grade seven students, and I taught them the unit... only two groups in the last session were fast enough to create a cube.

*But*, they enjoyed it immensely, so did the teachers, and I gave one teacher a one-on-one tutorial afterwards so she can help any students who want to make something more exciting than a cube. Yes, I had them so excited about math that even after I left, they kept folding units in the "dead time" before their next class. Pretty impressive, huh? Grade seven students that had *fun* at school?!? I'm impressed with myself, if nothing else.

My head should shrink in the next day or so.

Of course, it could just be puffy because I had to get up at 5am, in order to be ready to leave the house at 6:20, in order to get to school for 7:30. 7:30?!? That's the time I got *up* yesterday. Schools around here start looney-early.

No comments: