Tuesday, March 01, 2005

BookCrossing

Hey, I saw this on Katie's blog, and thought it was kind of neat. :) I think I may have a book I'd like to release into the wild... maybe I'll release it to Katie. ;)

That reminds me of the story of how Flin Flon, MB, got it's name. Flin Flon is a mining town... there's some gold, but I think it mostly has either copper or nickel. I can't remember which. (I just googled it... Flin Flon's mines have copper, zinc, silver and gold.) Anyway, before Flin Flon existed, a prospector was wandering around the bush up in northern Manitoba, and finds the book "The Sunless City". In this book, the main character, Flintabatey Flonatin, takes a submarine down a really deep lake to a golden city in the center of the earth. It's kind of a lame book (probably why it was abandoned in the bush), but after finding the book and then striking gold, they named the city after the main character. I've always thought that was kind of neat.

Why do I know so much about a small mining town in northern Manitoba? My mom is from there, and we spent all my summers growing up at our cabin on a lake near Flin Flon. It really is a wonderful place. (But don't tell anyone... I don't want it getting too crowded up there!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so neat! My company frequently places ads in the Flin Flon Reminder, and I've always wondered at the bizarre name.

kelly
www.marmalade.ca

noricum said...

What a small world! The Reminder is such a funny paper... a friend claims he saw them hyphenate "the" once for a line break... as "th-e". I'm not sure if he was exaggerating. ;) Of course, that's only appropriate, given you can tell where the line breaks are in the news the radio reporter reads. ;) Flin Flon is a quaint little town... I have lots of happy memories there. :)

I was in the Reminder once... my cousin wrote an article about me winning an award. Of course, the article wasn't quite correct... but then, my family really has no clue what it is that I do... why should the rest of the world? ;)

SuperP. said...

FlinFlon! I knew a girl named Marcie Belhumer from there.. I think that was her last name.. I am from Canada. Do you know her? Because I have been looking for her! Small world!

Daph said...

What a cool story! Not many towns get their start in such an interesting way. Flin Flon... it sounds like a fun place, LOL.

Daph said...

What a cool story! Not many towns get their start in such an interesting way. Flin Flon... it sounds like a fun place, LOL.