Thursday, March 24, 2005

50%

Well, I was halfway good tonight. I washed my dishes (and ate a proper meal!), but didn't get on my exercise bike. :P

I'll get on tomorrow. I promise!

I didn't ride tonight because I didn't have dinner until 8 (needed to wash dishes first), and I wanted to watch ER at 10. But I can't ride while watching ER, because then I'd need to have a shower after 11:00, and then it will be late when I get to bed. I'm trying to improve my sleeping habits. (Yes, I'm still up, but I'll be in bed momentarily.)

Tomorrow is Good Friday, but I'm not religious. I thought there was no bus service, but it turns out they're running a Saturday service. (From my area to campus, that means once per hour, from around 9-5.) I can't afford to take a holiday, because I didn't get very much done this week... and my eventual graduation depends on me making progress this term. I'm trying to decide if I should go in, or work from home.

I think I'll go in... I have a lot of trouble making myself work at home these days. However, I'll have to remember to catch the last bus home, or I'll have a 40 minute walk carrying my laptop and books and stuff. :P

Crochet progress: I did the heel twice on my sock today... I finished a very nice heel, and then realized I had forgotten to do my modification at the front of the ankle. Riiiip.

Smells of spring: rotting fish. Yes, spring around here occasionally smells like rotting fish. Why? There's this tree called a "Bradford pear". It has beautiful white blossoms, and berry sized "fruit". Thus, you don't have a big mess from the fruit. However, this tree has two major pitfalls: (1) the branches are brittle, and break easily (*great* for hurricane country... yeah, right), and (2) the blossoms seems to pick up the scent of whatever fertilizer is used on the tree. At least, that's the explanation someone gave me for why blooming Bradford pears stink of rotting fish. Blech. I don't know why people around here insist on planting this tree. *sigh*

2 comments:

noricum said...

Oooo... I like live oaks too. The ones in Savannah with the Spanish moss are really neat. Too bad live oaks don't grow in Winnipeg. :(

Some of my favourite trees in Winnipeg include American elms and Russian olives. In Flin Flon, I like the birches, trembling aspen, and jack pine.

Liz said...

We used to live in NJ where we called the Bradford pear the "smelly fish tree". Botanist hubby says it's not fertilizer, just the way the flowers smell. Ugh. We're glad not to smell them in Maine, even though they are pretty trees.