Sunday, March 06, 2005

Interview

I found this over at threeolivemartini's blog, and it looks kind of fun. She's asked me the interview questions, so here's my end of the bargain...

Here are the rules. I'll offer to interview the next how many ever people to respond to this post (because I dont have a huge following but if you get like 100 comments a day you might want to limit the number of interviews you want to do) that will follow these rules:

1. Leave me a comment saying "interview me."

2. I will respond by asking you five questions here. They will be different questions than the ones below.

3. You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

Like 3olives, I like this because there is no obligation and you dont have to "tag" any one. :)

Here's what 3olives asked me:

Andrea….. Seems you are the only person that has that problem with my comment box.. I don’t know what to tell you about that…its shows and works fine for me and every one else I have talked to …maybe you need to make it larger?

(Although this isn't technically an interview question, I thought I'd answer it here while I'm at it.) I'm using a mac, and Safari as my browser... so different errors are likely to show up on my computer than on other computers. The only reason I thought it might be something wrong with your code rather than my browser is that I've seen similar comment windows that work just fine here. I can't make the box larger... resizing the window doesn't help.

1. You are Canadian eh? So how did you end up down here ? And so close to me ? ( I am in Southern Pines)

Yep, I'm Canadian, and homesick. No, not all Canadians are like me... we come in a whole variety, just like Americans. ;)

How did I end up down here. Well, I started grad school at the University of British Columbia, and was assigned a great supervisor there. However, about a month after I arrived, he told me he was planning on moving. My initial response was "it would have been nice working with you". However, by the time he did leave, I had decided to give UNC a shot.

It was not a good move. I'm not blaming North Carolina, I think I just had a particularly bad combination of things happening to me, given my personality. First: I step off the airplane (that leg had been a small commuter plane from TX, so there was just steps to the outside), and instantly wilt from the heat and humidity. Note that this is late at night, well after the sun has gone down. My advisor, who happened to be on that flight as well, said "good, the heatwave is over". I gave him a *really* dirty look, and I won't mention my thoughts. It went downhill from there... it's a long story. Basically I had no money, lived in slum-level housing, was homesick, lonely, and quite depressed. My first year here was absolutely miserable. My roommate Paulina was a good thing, but there was just so much that was bad. Since then, life has gotten better, but it's taking me a long time to forgive NC for my miserable first impression. Sorry.

So I finally dug out my NC map... you are pretty close. I never get out of town (no car), but if you're around here sometime, want to get together? I always enjoy making new friends. :)

2. What are the major differences between Canada and America?

Well, Canada is farther north, and has a significantly smaller population. The second most used language is French, rather than Spanish. But I'm sure you noticed those things. ;)

The real differences, beyond the superficial, are harder to put into words. Back when I was living in Canada, I felt the two were basically similar. After moving here, I started noticing all the differences. I've written about some of them on my blog, and will continue to do so. I won't include them all in this post, because it would take too long. I guess I'll just list one... military. Canada spends considerably less on military, and puts a lot more effort into diplomacy. All those people that hate Americans... they don't seem to feel the same way about Canadians.

Oh... and I'm going to post a response on the health care comment... soon. I'll cc it to your e-mail. Just a heads-up that I haven't forgotten it. ;)

3. In what subject are you getting your PhD?

Computer Science. More specifically, Computational Geometry. If you want the sordid details, I'm applying combinatorial rigidity theory to protein allostery. I don't tell too many people, because they only sort of have a grasp on the fact that I'm getting a PhD in computer science, and after that, everything is gibberish. (No... what I'm doing has nothing to do with how to use Word, or install your software, and I'm just as clueless on how to ressurect your corrupted file. ;) )

4. I see you are an Aquarius like me.. Do you have time management problems like I do?

I do these days. I was pretty good back in high school, except when it came to English papers, but these days I'm horrible. It started in first year university, when I'd leave homework until the day before it was due... bad idea. I pulled quite a few near-all-nighters, and subsequently learned to sleep nearly anywhere. (The bus I caught was great... the last stop was the university, so someone or the driver would wake you up there. :) )

5. I love a good informed debate… Do you ? And if you could see one subject debated intelligently what would it be?

I do indeed! The problem is finding informed ones, and not just ones where people restate their side, and ignore the real questions. (Like those travesties called debates before the last election.)

I particularly enjoy participating in informal debates, which is one reason why I occasionally post prickly items on my blog. :) (Thanks for playing, by the way!) I feel a lot can be learned in a debate. Of course, things can be twisted too... I'm an athiest, but I once gave a friend of mine a very convincing argument on why God is a woman... I sure had her thinking! (Most of my friends growning up were faithful mennonites... but that was fine... they didn't force their beliefs on me, and I reciprocated.)

Hmmm... as to what I would like to see debated intelligently... I think the current US foreign and military policies, including the war in Iraq, and the best way to combat terrorism. (I hate terrorism as much as the next person, but I don't think the US is having much success.) Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen. At least, not in a debate that involves the US government. *sigh*

Thanks for the cool questions, 3olives! (And if my regular posts don't bore you too much, keep checking back for more of my commentary on the differences between Canada and the US.)

No comments: