Saturday, March 19, 2005

Writing Course

If anyone is interested in the writing course I took, the textbook version is Expectations: Teaching writing from the reader's perspective by George D. Gopen. Don't let the word "teaching" scare you off... this book teaches the method, and then has the last section devoted to how to teach this method. A couple of his ideas are a bit "out there", but most are extremely useful. (And the "out there" ideas can be easily ignored.)

Here's a quote from the introduction that I feel describes the course pretty well:
Substance without structure is interpretable but not effectively communicative. Substance with a misleading structure is highly likely to be misinterpreted. Substance with a helpfully instructive structure may not be interpreted in exactly the same way by all readers; but the likelihood of shared interpreteation increases greatly.


The introduction also mentions an article that I think I'll go look up:
Gopen, George D., and David A. Smith. "What's an Assignment Like You Doing in a Course Like This? Writing To Learn Mathematics." College Math Journal 21 (1990):2-19.
I think Gopen's method can be effectively used to improve my proof writing, and I suspect this article will expand on this.

No comments: