Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The Joy of Being Anonymous

How to start. Hmmm... how about the whole "15 minutes of fame" thing. It seems many people think it would be neat to be famous. I think most of us harbour secret dreams of being the next JK Rowling, Monet, Survivor/Idol/whatever winner, or something similar. I must admit I have secret dreams too... although I've always been a bit strange. I'd like to be anonymously famous. So if I, for example, ever wrote a novel, I'd use a pen name, and not do any publicity. Or, maybe I'd attend publicity events as a "friend/relative" of the famous person... so I could see what people think, without having to have those comments directed at me. Why? I guess because I'm really shy. If I were a superhero, I'd be one of the ones with a mask. I could do my "hero stuff", and then go about my everyday life, keeping the two completely separate.

Whether I want it or not, I haven't had too much anonymity. In grade school I was "known" because my mom was a teacher in the division. By the end of grade school, I was known because I was a top student.

Starting university was really nice... I was nearly completely anonymous (besides making a few friends)... for about half a term. *sigh*

I didn't get to be anonymous when starting grad school. When I moved to UNC, except for not existing for half a day (that was horrible), I still wasn't anonymous.

I got to be anonymous on my blog... for about half a term. Yes, I've been found out. I had thought by not using my last name I'd be fairly safe... yes, anyone who reads this would know who I am (I wouldn't be able to say *anything* about myself if I wanted to stay hidden that way... I'm in a pretty small community), but I would think this blog would be pretty hard to find. You'd have to try searching for me without using my name... which is pretty pointless, given how easy I am to find (academically) if you use my name.

Well, c'est la vie.

I guess I'll have to watch my tongue. Or, rather, my fingers. No more free therapy here.

3 comments:

noricum said...

Eh, that's okay, it was bound to happen eventually.

Suresh Venkatasubramanian said...

it might defeat the purpose, but you could create a second blog :), and this one could really be anonymous.

noricum said...

I'm considering setting up a completely private blog on my computer... then I'd just have to worry about my computer being stolen. ;) I'd still post here, but I'd put any rants I want to keep private there.