Tuesday, March 22, 2005

In the news...

It doesn't pay to be a heavy sleeper:

SLEEPING SENIOR ENDS UP AT B.C. MORGUE
A sleeping senior at a B.C. extended care facility was sent to a hospital morgue on Saturday, after being mistaken for her dead roommate.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/03/21/sleeping-dead0321.html

Pay attention to those signs that say "don't touch":

CANADIAN TEEN ACCUSED OF STEALING ROCK FROM ACROPOLIS
Greek police have arrested a Canadian teenager, accusing her of removing a piece of marble from the grounds of the 2,500-year-old Parthenon on the Acropolis Hill.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/03/21/greek-050321.html

Terri seems to be in the news a lot these days. Too bad she didn't have a feeding tube (or something appropriate) back when she was bulemic, and maybe they wouldn't have to have this debate now. I can't help but wonder how much money and effort is being spent on keeping Terri alive when she doesn't want to be... and how many other lives could have been saved instead. I hope that when it's my time, I get to go with dignity, rather than bickering. No, once again I don't know all the details. But somehow, I don't think Terri's husband would have won all the court cases if Terri's parents had a good argument for their side.

And isn't this just a blast:

COMPANY HIRED TO CLEAN UP CHURCHILL BOMBS
The federal government has hired a private explosive-decontamination company to remove unexploded bombs the American military left behind in Churchill.
FULL STORY
http://winnipeg.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=mb_churchill-bombs-20050321

Personally, I prefer to think of carpets of wildflowers when I think of Churchill. (I wasn't there during polar bear season.)

No comments: