Wednesday, April 12, 2006

To Sleep, Perchance To Dream

Dogwood Flowers
Dogwood Flowers

I'm in late again today... but then, I worked late last night, so I feel somewhat justified.

The dogwoods and azaleas are blooming beautifully... and since they have showy flowers, they are insect pollenated, rather than wind pollenated... which means they aren't contributing to my allergies.

I had a weird night last night. After going to bed late, it took me forever to fall asleep. My brain was too busy. I was thinking about stuff here, and how things are going to be different when I'm home. I was thinking about how one applies for a job at a yarn shop or bookstore. (I've never worked in retail, and I expect it's rather different from applying to be a professor. ;) Will they want transcripts? Is my "resume" totally useless, due to the fact that it's geared towards a totally different discipline? Will they even want a resume, or do I just fill out one of their standard forms? (If anyone has any experience, please let me know!)

Anyway, I eventually fell asleep. I had the *weirdest* dream. (Warning... I'm about to describe extreme weirdness.) Apparently my subconcious has aspirations of writing comic books, because my dream was this wierd "becoming a team of superheros" thing. I don't remember most of it now, but I drove a fancy sports car, there were bizarre, spinning elevators (one per superhero, with dots on the walls where we were supposed to put our fingers so we'd keep our balance... I was still getting the hang of the things), and I was pregnant with one of my twin brothers... one of the other (male) superheros was pregnant with the other. No, this dream did *not* make logical sense, although it was amazingly coherent. I think I actually gave birth to a female twin, who became a superhero immediately (she grew really fast), but was a midget and emotionally scarred from having gone through my birth canal. The other twin had problems, and somehow had to be reconstructed from parts run through the spinning elevators. I can't remember what my superpowers were, but I do remember them being pretty cool. (Much cooler than being pregnant with ones sibling.)

I woke up from the dream in a cold sweat, curled up and with my shoulders *aching*. Getting up in the wee hours, in a cold house, to change into dry pajamas isn't terribly fun.

Oh... and the mockingbird is back. However, he's improved his song drastically. Every morning for the past few days he's serenaded me around 6 am. He starts off with a prettier tune, and then sings just a wee bit of the "car alarm" sound to let me know it's him. He seems to like the tree not far from my bedroom window. He only sings for a few minutes, and then lets me get back to sleep.

1 comment:

LadyLinoleum said...

Totally laughing at your dream girl!

Um, no resume needed for retail. You will probably just have to fill out an application and do a little interview. Super easy. Definitely not the same as interviewing for a professor position. The last teaching position I had, during the interview they made me do a 20 minute on the spot lecture.