Thursday, April 20, 2006

Cake, Anyone?

Yarn cake, that is!

Last night I used the borrowed swift and ball winder to wind yarn.
Yarn Winding Setup

I started off with the three skeins of Lost Lake laceweight... *much* faster than doing it by hand without a swift and ball winder! I had heard that when using a swift and ball winder the cakes can end up wound too tight, and they should be wound a second time. Uh... that gave me a *really* poofy yarn cake! Here's the three ways I wound my Lost Lake laceweight:
Laceweight Three Ways
In the back is the ball I wound using my nostepinne (and no swift). On the left is the cake I wound directly from the hank, and on the right is the cake I wound twice. It was so poofy, I decided to rewind it again, this time using my fingers to add a bit of tension.

After I zipped through all of my Lost Lake laceweight, I decided to dig through my stash for everything else that needed balling:
Skeins In Need Of Winding
Abra Cadabra!
Yarn Cakes

Isn't this a nifty antique(?) swift?
Antique(?) Swift

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It IS a nifty antique swift! I want one!

Anonymous said...

Heh, I don't know if it's antique, I will point my mom in this direction and see what she says!