Monday, April 24, 2006

Leafy Beginnings

Look! I kitchenered:
Kitchenered Join
Well... not a real kitchener... I didn't use a provisional cast on. I did sew the live stitches to the first row, though, and I think it came out pretty invisible.

I ended up with thirteen leaves, and, through the magic of "negative ease," decided that thirteen were sufficient and didn't require being reknit. (I wasn't crazy about having thirteen, but not enough to rip the leaves out and restart.)

I picked up stitches and started knitting in the round:
Leafy Wreath
Hmmm... 117 stitches, with a recommended gauge of 20 stitches per four inches... is a *lot* of negative ease.

I ripped back to the picked up stitches, then knit in the front and back of each one, which I then turned into 1x1 ribbing:
Leafy Wreath
I think this should work... although I haven't put it on waste yarn to test. (I did with the 117 stitches... I don't need that much stretch in the material emphasizing the girth of my rump.)

Yeah, I know those last two photos don't look that different. They *stretch* different, though.

I'll do the waste yarn test after a few more rows. It's going pretty quick, anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, I love kitchener! Even though I have to reteach myself each time...

I am wondering, what is this??

See you tonight! I think I can return your hook to you, believe it or not.

noricum said...

I'm hoping it'll eventually be a tank top. ;)