Monday, April 24, 2006

Pantry Dinner

Tonight I decided to use up some pancake mix that was in my pantry. Sadly, I also temporarily lost my ability to cook pancakes.

The first one stuck when I tried to flip it.

??? I don't need oil, do I? I don't remember needing oil... the instuctions don't say to use oil... maybe my seasoning on the frying pan is bad? I'll try oil.

(I wash out the frying pan, add a little oil, and try again.)

The second one stuck when I tried to flip it. Plus it had a "fried" look.

??? Maybe it's the pan that's defective? Should I switch back to the teflon pan? I don't think I've cooked pancakes with this pan before, so maybe I should switch back to teflon.

(I wash out the cast iron frying pan, get out the teflon frying pan, and try again. Without oil.)

The third one... um... well, this is it:
Pancake?
This is the first one I ate. "Edible" is about as much as I'd give it.

Luckily my pancake cooking skills returned by the fourth pancake, although I still had trouble hitting the middle of the pan:
Pancake!
Turns out I wasn't waiting long enough before trying to flip the dang things.

I still need to try again on the cast iron frying pan, to see if it's seasoned well enough. Maybe I should buy one more package of pancake mix... I do still have a bit of maple syrup, after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm...yum...pancakes! :)

My waffles haven't been coming out right lately. The last couple of times I've made them, the batter has come out a lot thicker than usual, and doesn't go very far (I've been getting 3.5-4 waffles, where I used to get 5 or so). I can't figure out what's going wrong, either -- I've tried paying close attention to the recipe, using fresh eggs (the eggs I used the first time were rather old and the whites didn't whip up as well as usual), using fresh baking powder, etc. I still haven't hit on whatever's wrong. At least they taste okay anyway. :)

noricum said...

Hmmm... humidity can affect how much water a recipe needs. Has it been dry there? You could try adding a bit more water. (Or milk... depending on what your recipe calls for.)