Saturday, January 29, 2005

Sock failure

Why is it that I can crochet over a dozen pairs of perfectly good socks, and now I can't?

My gauge is off... I noticed this with Bob's sock... it was coming out too big. Fine. I frogged it, reduced the number of increases, and went on. I was curious how far the reinforcing thread would go (Lang Jawoll Cotton), so instead of stopping it at the end of the toe, I continued using it. I figured it wouldn't hurt for the whole foot to be reinforced. Well, the reinforcing thread ran out before I reached the heel section. I wasn't too concerned... I'm not convinced that reinforcing thread is actually helping things. (It seems to fuzz more, and also snapped when I was frogging the first time... I'm not impressed.) So I keep going. I'm now about where I should start the heel, but I've noticed something... my gauge has increased, and the sock is now narrower.

Fine. It must have been the reinforcing thread messing stuff up.

I didn't want to frog the sock last night... it was late by the time I made this decision. Also, I think there won't be enough yarn (the ball is looking pretty low already), so I'm thinking I should get some black and stripe it, like I had originally considered. So, instead of taking Bob's socks to school today, I grabbed some of the yarn from Josie to make a pair for myself. (I went with the two balls of red/blue/yellow/orange yarn.)

Since my gauge seemed to be back to normal, I did my normal number of increases.

Bad move. I'm halfway to the heel on this sock, and it's looking rather loose too. Aaargh!

What happened? I used to be able to do this! At first I thought it was the felting, since I had tried to crochet loose for it, but this sock I specifically tried to keep my tension tight!

So... what happens now that I can no longer make socks like I used to? My order from elann.com arrives, with the sock yarn for my sockapalooza pal.

In frustration, I got out my scarf yarn, and started working on that. (I don't need no stinking gauge for a scarf! It just has to be a rectangle! And not even all that rectangular, as long as it's warm!)

The other reason to start my scarf: the magic from my hat has worn off, and they're forecasting snow/ice/rain for tomorrow. Yes. All three. I think in that order, too. I don't mind a weekend at home, curled up with hot cocoa, but my friend Kelli is supposed to have a blind date tomorrow, and see Fiddler on the Roof, and really doesn't want to cancel. Sounds like we could use some freshly crocheted scarf magic.

However, I didn't spend tonight with two partial socks glaring at me from the coffee table. Kelli, my scarf and I went out with some other of Kelli's friends (and friends of friends) for dinner and a movie. We had dinner at Rockfish Grill (yum), and watched Phantom of the Opera. Not the movie I would have chosen to see, but better that than being alone with my TV.

While I was out, I also picked up a copy of Vogue Knitting, to see if I can make that neat flower basket bag. :) (Now I have two reasons to learn how to knit... and I'll have three, if I can get ahold of that Weasley sweater pattern...)

Oops... past my bedtime. Sleep tight, and dream of warm feet.

No comments: