Sunday, January 30, 2005

Living in the USA

In response to Kenneth's comment:

Yeah, I know that O'Reilly isn't America. And that there's dorks in Canada too. (Not that I'm necessarily calling O'Reilly a dork... I've never actually watched his show, so I can't really comment on him.) I have met lots of nice Americans while living here. I have also met Americans who seem "normal", but then will make a comment I find totally offensive, underscoring the difference between my beliefs, and what appears to be some common American views. Likewise, many Americans would consider my views completely offensive... not all, but there are certainly a lot down here in the religious, red south.

I am an Alien here, in "legal speak". I do feel alien... I am a minority here, although not a visible one. Although I can tolerate living here, I do not enjoy it. I find it depressing. Skin colour is generally not an issue where I'm from, but it is here. I am an athiest, and I was told by a Jewish roommate not to say that too loudly.

I'm sorry, I'm going to stop here. I have much more I can say, but this topic makes me unhappy and homesick.

Update: scarf magic is at 26 inches and counting... and the precipitation is very definitely liquid. I hope you had a nice evening, Kelli!

1 comment:

hi, i'm natalie said...

I'm sorry that you don't feel at home here... I live near Detroit, very close to the Canadian border, and I've never realized how different the two societies are...
I think to most in my area, Canada seems the same as us, except you can drink younger there. Since I've been old enough to seriously entertain the thought, I've considered moving across the border, and probably would go for it if my hunny wasn't so attached to this area. I can only wonder how it would feel to have the postion reversed, but I wish that your time here in the US is as happy as possible.