Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Blog

Hmmm... I have a lot to write about, but I'm not sure how much I feel like writing tonight.

Yesterday was a long day. (Hence, no posts.) I had to get up early (again) to go to the allergist. (This time it actually happened.) My dad drove me since my mom and Bob needed the car to go grocery shopping. I saw some really amazing sundogs on the way there.

Aside: For those of you in warmer climates, sundogs are related to rainbows. They're formed when sun is refracted through ice crystals in the air. They generally appear as two bright streaks on each side of the sun, but rarely can even form a complete circle. I'd give you the link to wikipedia, but I disagree with some of the information there. (I don't think the writer comes from a cold climate.)

Anyway, these sundogs were incredible... instead of being bright yellowy-white, I could actually distinguish some rainbow colours! I wish I had my camera with me. I had considered bringing it, but then decided I was unlikely to be taking pictures that day, and didn't. *sigh*

So the nut challenge went well... it just took a *really* long time. I was there from 9:15 (I was a bit early) until 2:20. They said it would be 3 hours... ha! If I had known it was going to take that long, I'd have brought some lunch in addition to the ten nuts. :P Oh well... I have permission to eat pecans now. :)) I had forgotten how good pecans taste. :) I don't think I can go hog-wild and eat tons, but a few now and then should be okay. Mmmm.... I'm looking forward to some turtles in the near future! Or maybe try a small slice of this thing called pecan pie... Oh, the possibilities!

After the allergist, I walked over to Bishop Grandin Boulevard, which took longer than I expected. I *just* missed the bus. I saw it on the other side of the highway, and I had two traffic lights to wait for to get to where the bus stop was. :( I checked my watch, and it was a minute early according to the schedule. The next bus was a few minutes late... so I was waiting in the -25C weather for a half hour! (With the windchill, it was below -40... F or C, take your pick.) The bus took me to the university, and from there it was about a 15 minute walk to H's house. (She didn't realize I didn't have the car that day... she would have offered to pick me up if she had known.) I had a good visit with H (who was kind enough to feed me, even though I had to call and cancel our lunch date) and loaned her some books. I gave her the tuque I had crocheted for myself last year, and she really liked it. :) (She had asked me to crochet her one just like it last year, but I hadn't gotten around to it. Since I plan to crochet myself a wool tuque, and had barely worn this tuque living down south, I asked her if she'd like it.)

After the visit she offered to drive me to the university to catch my bus. When we arrived, it was 1 minute before the scheduled departure, but there was no bus waiting at the loop. I figured it was just late, but she thought it might have left already. So we drove along, trying to see if we could catch up to it. We never did... it must have been running a bit late. She ended up driving me all the way downtown, where I was meeting my dad. H is so nice! I felt bad, because the traffic coming out of downtown was horrendous. (I had asked dad to pick me up... I didn't feel like freezing again that day... but he refused because of traffic.)

I ended up being downtown early, since cars move faster than busses, so I browsed some of the stores. I bought myself a Christmas music CD for 50% off, so I won't be deprived next year. ;) I met up with Dad and Odie. We ate at a food court downtown (after crossing off all the ones that likely used sesame seeds or peanuts, that left me with a choice of two places... pizza or Subway), and then watched a hockey game. Why on earth was I watching hockey? Well, a cousin I don't think I have ever met was playing that night... He plays for the Cleaveland Barons, who were in Winnipeg playing the Manitoba Moose. Here's my cousin:



I learned some things about hockey... like "icing", "offside", and that players don't actually play for more than about 30 seconds at a time. They were constantly changing who was on the ice. (Sorry guys, I'm a lot less impressed with someone who only has to exercise for 30 seconds at a time.) It was a bit funny... they kept broadcasting the Canada-Russia world junior final on the big screen. (Yay Canada! We won gold, beating Russia 6-1! I hear USA didn't make it to the medals.)

After the game we hung around for a bit, and I got to meet my cousin when he *finally* came out of the changing room. (I was grumpy by then... I was up past my bedtime, and I hadn't been home or fed properly all day! Whine, whine, whine...)

Well, that was yesterday. Today? After breakfast, I went back to bed and slept until noon. Then I spent *way* too long catching up on other people's blogs. I'm going to have to prune my bloglines. I was fine over Christmas, but now people are posting more, and I don't have the time. I'm slowly going to prune down to all but people I know, and my absolute favourite blogs. I don't really want to (since they're all interesting), but I'm not going to have the time when term starts up again. I *need* to finish my dissertation! (So please don't feel offended if I drop your blog.)

I also did some crochet today. I made a pair of "toe socks" for my grandma S:



What? They look odd? Yeah. S has to wear pressure socks, and those socks don't cover her toes. Thus, her toes get cold. But she can't wear real socks, because then the rest of her feet boil. So I made little covers for her toes, and added elastic to hold them on. I'm going to take them to her tomorrow, to see how they work out. After the toe socks, I started the pair of socks for V out in BC:



I'm *jealous*! I love these socks already, and they aren't going to be mine! Waaaa! I'm making them with green Kroy 4 ply sock yarn, and leftovers from my rainbow socks. My mom loves my rainbow socks, so I think I'll have to make her a pair, so I'll have enough leftover to make myself a pair of these socks! (My mom commented that the rainbow stripes make little spots that look like butterflies.)

Well, that's today, and it's time for bed. I guess I got it all in, it just took me an hour to write. :P

Oh... I also cooked tonight... I did my shrimp pasta for mom and Bob, and Bob's son. They *loved* it. :)) I'm happy.

2 comments:

Heather said...

What a clever idea! Toe socks! I have never heard of that. You should make a pattern for that!

noricum said...

It's a pretty easy "pattern"... I used the South Bay Crochet Toes Up Socks, but stopped after 4". Then I just sewed the elastic on, the right length to go around the heel.