Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Learning

I learned something new today, and it's only 1:00. :) I finally looked up "thrummed mittens", and discovered that I really should make myself a pair. Here's Yarn Harlot's FAQ. And whadda-ya-know, they're even Canadian!

Just to show I'm doing real work too, I also learned that "apo" means "without ligand", and "heterodimer" is a complex of two different proteins. (I had guessed what the second one was, but I looked it up to make sure.) This morning I'm reading about PXR... a really nifty protein that explains why taking St. John's wort messes up any other medications you may be taking. (Taking St. John's wort effectively causes the other medications to be removed from your system, because it activates PXR, which turns on a gene, which then produces... um, I don't think I'll go into it all, unless someone is interested?)

Oh... and I think I should start answering questions as a new post, rather than comments, so people don't have to keep checking back to see if I've answered them. Yesterday, Daphne asked: "Is it difficult to add a zipper to crocheted items? Do you hand sew it on or use a machine?" My answer: I've never added a zipper before. I think I'd sew it by hand, because I think I'd have trouble controlling the crocheted fabric in the sewing machine.

2 comments:

Daph said...

Aha! Well, if you do add a zipper let me know how it turns out! :) Thrummed mittens look super warm and oh-so-soft! That's a pretty neat trick, and I feel better knowing that I actually learned something new today, he he he.

noricum said...

Will do. :)