Friday, January 07, 2005

Crochet Tip

Tàri Nienna describes a problem on her blog... where some yarns are really hard to see where to put the stitches, especially on the first row (after the chain). I've had the same problem, and here's my solution:

Tip: get some scraps of yarn (either one long piece, or many shorter pieces, in a different colour than you're using for the project), and place the scrap yarn between the loop on the hook, and the yarn going to the ball. When doing the first row after the chain, the hook goes through where the scrap yarn is. When you're done this row, pull out the scrap yarn.

I'll add a photo or two later, but not tonight.

I made it to the heel on the first green Kroy sock, and discovered I didn't have enough rainbow yarn to add stripes after the heel. So I'm starting the second sock, but using wider green stripes to see how it looks. So far so good... the stripes even stand out better. :) I'm nearly to the heel on the second sock. However, since I have to frog nearly the entire first sock, I'm not updating my progress bar... what I did today will be cancelled out by what I frog tomorrow.

Tomorrow I head back to Chapel Hill. *sigh* I don't really want to go back. Oh well... at least I have some neat surprises in the mail to look forward to! :))

Another fun thing today: I've been accepted into the Sockapalooza sock exchange! (Even though I crochet.) I'm looking forward to this... I'm thinking of it as a sort of cultural exchange... I'll show knitters how nice my crocheted socks are, and I'll get to see how nice knitted socks are. :)) You know, I've been reading on Crochetville how crocheters sometimes get snubbed by knitters... maybe if this works out, we can try a bigger cultural sock exchange. :)

No comments: